- Know your Nationalistic composers:
- Emanuel deFalla (Spain)
- Antonin Dvorak (Czechoslavakia)
- Nicolai Rimsky-Korsokov (Russian)
- Michael Moore
- Charles Ives (USA)
- Joaquin Curina
- Jose Manuel Dapena
- Roy Harris
- Identify Nationalist characteristics
- Understand the Applications of Nationalism
Nationalism began to develop during the Romantic Era (1820 – 1915), and continues to grow to the present day. Many Romantic composers used music as a means to show their patriotism and loyalty for their country. Most National Anthem were written or chosen during the 19th century, as nations such Italy and Germany began to unify.Questions:
- How do we identify a Nationalistic composer?
- What are some ways Nationalism is applied?
- What is the difference between individualism and nationalism?
- Why do Nationalist composers achieve popularity during the 1850’s and on?